I usually make this cake with grapes but seen as they aren’t in season for another month or so and seen as we have an abundance of plums at the moment, here it is Upside Down Plum and Almond Cake. The cake itself is deliciously moist with the use of almond and you could really use any fruit in place of plum or grapes, banana, peaches, nectarine would also be yum!
– 50 grams butter
– 110 grams brown sugar
– 5 plums halved and stones taken out (or enough of any fruit to cover the bottom of your pan)
– 125 grams butter softned
– 275 grams caster sugar
– 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
– 3 eggs
– 200 grams flour
– 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
– 160 ml milk
– 120 grams almond meal
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
2. Combine first amounts of butter and brown sugar in a small saucepan, stir over low heat until smooth, pour into base of cake pan and place the plums cut side down.
3. Beat second lot of butter, sugar and cinnamon in a medium bowl until light and fluffy, beat in eggs one at a time until just combined. Fold in flour, baking powder and milk in two batches.
4. Lastly fold in the almond meal.
5. Pour mixture into the cake pan on top of fruit and tap on bench to release any bubbles.
6. Bake for around 45 minutes or until cooked through when tested with a skewer. Depending on the shape of your cake tin it may take longer or less time.